Monday, February 14, 2011

My Favorite Tradition

In honor of Valentine's Day, I am going to share my very favorite tradition Evan and I have.  We do this on birthdays, our anniversary and Valentine's Day... all the card holidays. 

Here's the deal,  I really like cards.  I love getting cards for people and occasions.  I love hunting for just the perfect card.  Evan, however, thinks cards are a waste of money.  Now, he doesn't complain about getting birthday cards for our family members or baby showers, but he thinks it's silly for us to spend the money on each other.  He tells me how he feels on a regular basis, why does he need to spend $3 on a card to tell me the same thing?  I get it, I really do... but it's the effort I appreciate.  The knowledge that he went and searched and got just the right card for me.

So we compromised ;)

On birthdays, our anniversary, and Valentine's Day we have a mini date at CVS or Walgreens.  Today, when Evan gets home, we will head to CVS and scour the Valentine's section of the card display for each other.  When each of us has found one, we close the card in the envelope (not sealing it), and present them to each other.  After reading the cards we share what we might have written.  Enjoy the sentiment... then we put the cards back on the shelf and go enjoy a real date.

We've done this for a couple of years now and it's still pretty fun ;)

1 comment: